Job Opening: Communications & Development Coordinator
Vermont Afterschool is seeking a Communications & Development Coordinator to advance our work through strategic communications efforts and expanded development capacity. If you’re a systems thinker, amazing communicator, and enthusiastic collaborator who is passionate about putting your skills to work toward ensuring that all of Vermont’s children and youth have opportunities to be active, engaged, connected, and heard, this is the job for you. In this role, you’ll be an integral part of our dynamic and hard-working team and help to tell our story to diverse audiences.
This is a full-time position that offers benefits and is based in our South Burlington, VT office. All staff are currently working hybrid remote/in-person schedules due to the COVID-19 pandemic. We strongly prefer that candidates be able to work regularly from our South Burlington, VT, office when public health and safety guidelines allow. Reporting to Vermont Afterschool’s Executive Director, this position offers opportunity for growth and development, and we encourage all interested candidates to apply even if they do not meet all of the qualifications.
Vermont Afterschool is a statewide nonprofit dedicated to strengthening programs, building partnerships, and transforming communities so that all Vermont youth are active, engaged, connected, and heard. We’ve been doing this work since 2009 because we believe that young people make a better Vermont and that all children and youth in Vermont have the right to opportunities that will help them grow into happy and healthy adults.
Maintain and update website and social media accounts, prepare and send mass email campaigns, develop and update website content, oversee the development of video pieces, and assist with all aspects of the communication strategy, including:
- Contribute to the writing, editing and production of publications including e-newsletters, media releases, fact sheets, blogs, project deliverables, and other communications as needed
- Help design and lead advocacy and outreach campaigns using multiple avenues and approaches
- Help our team to maintain a cohesive “look” for the organization, such as letterhead, fonts, report style, presentations, tone, messaging, etc.
- Cultivate media contacts and relationships and respond to media queries
- Secure strategic piece placement in print, broadcast, blogs and other online sources
- Track press coverage and monitor Vermont Afterschool’s communications reach
Collaborate with the Executive Director and leadership team to develop and execute successful organizational fundraising efforts, fee-for-service models, membership structures, and special events, including:
- Manage and maintain donor and member databases
- Manage donor giving, including creating individual donor materials and coordinating donor fundraising campaigns
- Develop and implement a membership campaign
- Prepare and manage accurate and timely entry and tracking of all donor, funder, and membership data, correspondence, contacts and deadlines
- Help with the research, writing, and submission of public and private grant proposals and contract opportunities
- Contribute to the organization’s annual planning, budgeting, and fundraising processes
- Manage logistics, venue, and set up/strike of special events, usually several times per year
QUALIFICATIONS AND CHARACTERISTICS
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including public speaking, and graphic design proficiency
- Applied experience in fundraising and development (including grant writing), communications (developing content and strategies for print, radio, and/or online media), and/or marketing, in a non- profit, policy or social good-oriented company
- Demonstrated organizational and/or project management skills including managing a website; writing press releases and producing newsletters; collecting and analyzing data; writing reports; developing outreach and marketing materials; and fostering positive relationships with a wide variety of people, programs, and partners.
- Proficient with Google Suite, Microsoft Office, Canva, Adobe CreativeSuite, WordPress, MailChimp, social media platforms, and Google Analytics (or similar alternatives)
- Exceptional initiative and interpersonal skills, including the ability to work independently and collaboratively, listen well, build trust, and model healthy conflict resolution
- Ability to maintain a calm demeanor and work within a fast-paced environment; strong project management skills and demonstrated ability to work on multiple timelines, including with project and administrative deadlines
- Sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of youth.
- Self-starter with a positive attitude and sense of humor and the ability to adapt quickly to changing needs
- Interest in growing professionally and receiving constructive feedback
- Must be able to work at a desk and on a computer during regular work hours and able to lift at least 10 pounds
- Must have access to reliable transportation and be willing to travel around the state when required to visit programs or participate in meetings, once COVID-19 safety protocols allow
HOW TO APPLY
- We offer a competitive compensation package and the opportunity to play a role in growing an organization. Expected compensation for this position starts at $25/hour and depends on qualifications and experience.
To apply, please send a cover letter, resume, and three references to email@example.com. Applications are being accepted on a rolling basis and must be submitted electronically. The position will be posted until filled and is available immediately. Vermont Afterschool is an equal opportunity employer, and we especially welcome applications from individuals who will contribute to our diversity.