As we navigate the world amid a global pandemic and racial justice movements happening worldwide, youth empowerment and instilling hope among youth can’t be an afterthought. Youth voice and their unique perspectives must be considered when discussing projects and activities to improve the lives of youth in their local communities.
Given the importance of youth engagement and leadership in promoting youth wellbeing, Vermont Afterschool, Inc. is pleased to announce that we are able to offer Youth Council Grants to five programs in Chittenden, Washington, and Orange counties for the 2020-2021 school year. These grants are offered to programs in the third space to help them start or expand a youth council, as well as create a participatory budget process for youth-driven projects.
Are you ready for youth-led initiatives in your community?
In addition to the financial support to operate the council, we will provide technical support and professional development opportunities for the youth to develop leadership skills, transform their vision into actions, and run a participatory budgeting process. Each youth council will be provided with the funding to support local-youth-led initiatives. The councils will be tasked to oversee and decide the granting process, selection criteria, and reporting.
Our primary focus is to provide opportunities for youth to be a part of the solution, but we understand that adult support and guidance is crucial in guiding them toward their goals and providing support to overcome challenges they may face down the road.
Third space programs (those operating in the out-of-school time hours) serving middle/high school students in Chittenden, Washington, or Orange counties.
- Facilitate a youth council that meets twice a month (required workshops hosted by Vermont Afterschool count towards meeting time)
- Participate in five required workshops hosted by Vermont Afterschool
- Complete participatory budget process with youth council
- Collect photos and stories of youth-led projects
- Evaluation of participatory budget process and report outcomes
What you get
- $5000 towards participatory budget process with youth council. This funding can support youth-led initiatives, stipends for youth, and youth council operation costs.
- Mandatory workshops to support skill development in assessing community needs and using a participatory budget process. See below.
- Optional workshops available at request and will support further development of leadership skills.
- Professional development and training for adults
- Personalized coaching for your youth council from Vermont Afterschool.
Questions? Please contact Matt Wolf: email@example.com
Applications are due by November 15th!
Many thanks to the Northfield Savings Bank Foundation for their support of this project.