Interested in starting an afterschool? Not sure where to begin? We’re here to help!

Types of Programs

1. Licensed Afterschool Programs
The Vermont Child Development Division (CDD) monitors and oversees all licensed, afterschool childcare (ages 5-15) programs in Vermont. An afterschool childcare program is considered any place operating as a business or service on a regular or continuous basis, whether or not for compensation. This childcare service is provided by an entity or person other than the child’s own parent, guardian, or relative. For more information about afterschool licensing regulations in Vermont, go to the CDD website as well as review the information on becoming a childcare provider.

2. 21st Century Community Learning Center (21C) Programs
The 21C initiative is the only federal funding source dedicated exclusively to afterschool and summer learning programs. Funds are administered by the VT Agency of Education through a competitive grant process, with grants being available only to programs that serve communities with at least 40% free and reduced lunch or are eligible for Title 1 schoolwide status.

*Note that while 21C programs are exempt from the CDD licensure requirement, they can apply if they choose in order to participate in the Child Care Financial Assistance Program.

3. Programs for Teens and Older Youth
Teen centers, youth centers, or other programs serving older youth outside the school day are also considered part of the afterschool and expanded learning field. Email us if you’d like to join the Vermont Youth Center Alliance.

4. School-Based Extracurricular Activities and Single Focus Programs
Schools often run athletic teams, homework support programs, and other special-interest clubs that meet after school or during the summer. Additionally, any business or organization that offers a single skill-based activity for children or youth in the out-of-school time hours (e.g., pottery, drama, dance, music lessons, etc.) would fall within this category as being exempt from licensure.

5. Recreational Programs
Town and city parks and recreation departments may run sports leagues and other short-term special programs for children and youth that don’t need school-age care licensure.

Funding for Programs in Vermont

  • The Children’s Trust Fund awards grants to Vermont 501(c) 3 nonprofits organizations, municipalities, or schools that provide primary prevention programs for children and their families. Applications are due in January.
  • Private, nonprofit, home- and center-based childcare/afterschool providers can apply for loans and technical assistance from the Vermont Community Loan Fund.
  • The Wallace Foundation’s cost calculator for afterschool programs can be very useful to determine “reasonable” costs for operating a program.
  • Many afterschool programs are eligible to receive reimbursements for suppers and snacks. Hunger Free Vermont is one of our key partners and an outstanding resource for understanding how you can get reimbursed for serving snacks and meals during the out-of-school time hours.