The Afterschool and Youth Work Certificate is offered by the Community College of Vermont (CCV) as a way to help youth work professionals advance in their careers. We worked with CCV to develop this certificate, which can be completed fully online for a total of 24 credits.
The first class in the sequence, Introduction to Afterschool Education (EDU 1320), is a course that is offered for FREE with CCV in the fall for licensed afterschool program staff! **Note that you must register for this course through Vermont Afterschool.**
The Afterschool and Youth Work Certificate will provide students with essential skills to develop, support, and administer high-quality afterschool and youth programs for young people ages 5-18. Emphasis is on developing programs that use youth voice, active learning, planning and reflection, and supporting effective collaboration with families and community partners. Courses in this program may be applied to CCV’s Early Childhood Education A.A. or Behavioral Science A.S. degrees.
Students who complete the Afterschool and Youth Work certificate will be able to:
- Practice and model effective communication and partnerships with children, youth, families, and community partners;
- Apply developmentally appropriate and professionally accepted practices for afterschool and youth programs;
- Employ strategies to maintain safe, healthy, and nurturing environments in afterschool and youth programs; and
- Exhibit professional conduct in afterschool and youth work settings, including legal and ethical responsibilities, roles, and boundaries.
Courses are listed in the order in which CCV recommends you take them.
- First Semester Seminar
- EDU 1320 – Introduction to Afterschool Education
- EDU 2065 – Afterschool Education & Development of the School-Aged Child
- COM 1015 – Communication in the Early Childhood Education & Afterschool Workplace
- EDU 2145 – Social-Emotional Development in Children Ages 5-18
- EDU 2185 – Curriculum & Environment Development in Afterschool & Youth Programs
- EDU 2042 – Early Childhood Education & Afterschool Program Management
- INT 2860 – Professional Field Experience