Vermont Afterschool, Inc. is pleased to announce that we are able to offer Youth Council Grants to four programs in Chittenden, Washington, and Orange counties for the 2021-2022 school year. These grants are offered to programs to help start or expand a youth council, as well as create a participatory budgeting process for youth driven projects in the community.
With the support of a statewide Vermont Youth Council, Vermont Afterschool designed the grant program with the goal of inspiring youth-initiated projects that will benefit Vermont’s young people, families & communities. The grant program has funded many proposals across Vermont that address various needs identified by youth and promote a wide array of rights identified in the Youth Declaration of Rights, which was written in Fall 2017 exclusively by youth ages 9-22.
Third space programs (those operating in the out-of-school time hours) serving middle/high school students in Chittenden, Washington, and Orange counties.
- Facilitate a youth council that meets twice a month (mandatory workshops hosted by Vermont Afterschool count towards meeting time)
- Participate in five mandatory workshops hosted by Vermont Afterschool
- Complete participatory budgeting & community voting processes with youth council
- Collect photos and stories of youth-led projects
- Evaluation of participatory budget process and report outcomes
What you get
- $5000 to operate and support participation in the youth council. This funding can be used for stipends for youth, staff time and youth council operation costs.
- Mandatory workshops to support skill development in assessing community needs, leadership skills and using a participatory budget process. See below.
- Optional workshops and support available upon request supporting further leadership skill and youth council development.
- Professional development and training for adults.
- Personalized coaching for your youth council from Vermont Afterschool.
- Introduction & Orientation Meeting: October 27, 2021
- Determining Youth Grant Focus Areas: November 18, 2021
- Idea Development & Action Planning: January 12, 2022
- Youth Project Community Voting: January 26, 2022
- Celebration Event: May 2022
Grant applications must be submitted by October 13, 2021.