Vermont Afterschool is proud to be part of the Million Girls Moonshot initiative, working to inspire and prepare the next generation of innovators by engaging one million more girls in STEM learning opportunities through OST programs over the next five years. The Million Girls Moonshot is an initiative of the STEM Next Opportunity Fund. The Million Girls Moonshot seeks to re-imagine who can engineer, who can build, who can make. See below for some information and resources that can help advance this goal!
If you are using these resources please fill out this quick survey so Vermont Afterschool can see how these resources are being distributed. Thank you!
This month, MGM celebrates Engineer Week – Reimagining the Possible and Introduce a Girl to Engineering Day—and recommits to a year-round effort of cultivating an engineering mindset in girls and youth traditionally underrepresented in STEM fields.
2022 Moonshot Flight Crew
The Million Girls Moonshot is excited to launch recruitment for the inaugural 2022 Moonshot Flight Crew. MGM is looking for youth advocates—young scientists, engineers, inventors, builders, and leaders who have been inspired by their experience outside of the school classroom. The application deadline is February 25, 2022.
Mizzen By Mott Moonshot Collection
The Mizzen By Mott app delivers inspiring and engaging activities that spark learning in young people. Supported by the Mott Foundation, Mizzen is available at no cost to afterschool professionals! Featured activities and playlists include:
- STEM Activities for K-5th Grade in Small Groups: This playlist is a great mix of engineering and science activities that are easy and fun for small groups of students.
- Science Notebooks for 3rd – 12th Grade: Keeping a notebook can help your students think and act like scientists and engineers. Sample these easy-to-implement strategies and lessons to bring science notebooking into your program.
- S.INQ Up Earth and Space for 6-8th Grade: Earth and Space is an inquiry and exploration-based curriculum that uses hands-on activities focused on the relationships between the earth, the solar system, and human impacts on our global environment.
Download the Mizzen By Mott app today to access STEM activities at your fingertips!
Discover Engineering Month Activities
The Vermont 4-H Program and the UVM College of Engineering and Mathematical Sciences have teamed up for the entire month of February 2022 to host a variety of programs for grades 3-12 to promote the field of engineering. The goal is to expose youth to engineering, build skills, and help youth understand different pathways they can take to pursue a future as an engineer.
Check out the FREE learning opportunities happening during the month – all leading up to National Engineering Week, February 20-26, 2022. Activities include:
- Create Your Own Invention Contest
- Rube Goldberg Challenge
- 4-H World Changers: Learn to Code
- VTeen 4-H Science Pathways Cafes
- [email protected] Engineering Activities
- How Did You Get There?
- 4-H Teen Time: Career Exploration