Vermont Afterschool is proud to be part of the Million Girls Moonshot initiative, working to inspire and prepare the next generation of innovators by engaging one million more girls in STEM learning opportunities through OST programs over the next five years. The Million Girls Moonshot is an initiative of the STEM Next Opportunity Fund. The Million Girls Moonshot seeks to re-imagine who can engineer, who can build, who can make. See below for some information and resources that can help advance this goal!
If you are using these resources please fill out this quick survey so Vermont Afterschool can see how these resources are being distributed. Thank you!
February is a time to celebrate how engineers make a difference in our world. Whether you meet with students in-person or virtually, you can spark their interest by talking to them about engineering, doing STEM activities, and sharing your story.
Engineering Week (February 19-25) Resources
- Discover Engineering Downloadable Resources – A Collection of resources for your Engineers Week and Introduce a Girl to Engineering Day events and activities! Download logos, ads, graphics, certificates, bookmarks, and customizable language you can share.
- NGCP “10 Ways to Support Girls in STEM in 2023” – A list of 10 simple ways you can support girls in STEM in 2023, along with the necessary resources to help you. Information for addressing stereotypes, introducing role models, exploring coding, and more are included in this helpful NGCP resource that can be used to kickstart your Engineering Week and beyond.
- DNational Science Foundation’s Engineering Classroom Resources – This collection of lessons and web resources curated by the NSF is aimed at classroom teachers, their students, and student’s families.
- The STEAM Playbook – NGCP partnered with The Genius of Play to bring this collection of play ideas and ready-to-use activities to help spark a child’s interest in these critical subjects. Check out the activities specific to Engineering to help plan your Engineering Week.
- PBS Kids Engineering Games – A Collection of free engineering-focused games from PBS Kids.
- Toolkit: Engaging Families in Mathematics Education – Families are a child’s first educator and this role does not halt on day one of school. Families lay the foundation for future educational success. Researchers have identified four best practices for engaging families effectively in mathematics education.
- Educator Guide: STEM Activities for Families – Easy to implement engaging activities for families (as a follow up to after school activities).