Vermont Afterschool is proud to be part of the Million Girls Moonshot initiative, working to inspire and prepare the next generation of innovators by engaging one million more girls in STEM learning opportunities through OST programs over the next five years. The Million Girls Moonshot is an initiative of the STEM Next Opportunity Fund. The Million Girls Moonshot seeks to re-imagine who can engineer, who can build, who can make. See below for some information and resources that can help advance this goal!
Curiosity Machine Design Challenges: September 16, 2021 11:00am Eastern
Looking for hands-on project-based STEM activities for your students? Technovation will guide you through our suite of free design challenges on our Curiosity Machine website. REGISTER HERE
Intel Future Skills Educator Academy: October 5th and 7th, 2021 3:00pm Eastern
This virtual hands-on and interactive academy will be facilitated by the educators who helped create Intel Future Skills and the Intel Future Skills team. By the end of the two day, four hour Intel Future Skills Educator Academy, you will: 1) Have developed a deeper understanding of design thinking and how it acts as a framework for Intel Future Skills; 2) Know more about each of the Intel Future Skills projects and categories; and 3) Be ready to deliver Intel Future Skills content with your students and community. REGISTER HERE
Introducing Artificial Intelligence Using Curiosity Machine: October 14, 2021 11:00am Eastern
Artificial intelligence can be fun, hands-on, and connected to real life, even for kids. In this training for educators of upper elementary or middle school students, Technovation will showcase our Curiosity Machine artificial intelligence lessons. REGISTER HERE
Going Deeper: Curiosity Machine to Technovation Girls Challenge: November 4, 2021 11:00am Eastern
Calling all educators who are interested in teaching your students how to solve global problems with technology! Take your exploration of open-ended design challenges with your students to the next level by learning about this multi-week opportunity for students to dive deep into coding or AI and a passion project that could change the world and themselves. REGISTER HERE
The M in STEM: Making Mathematics Meaningful with the National Girls Collaborative Project: October 5, 2021 2:00pm Eastern
This webinar will focus on engaging and supporting girls and young women in mathematics. REGISTER HERE
Tour of the IF/THEN Collection: Million Girls Moonshot Portal with the National Girls Collaborative Project September 21, 2021 2:00pm Eastern
Are you looking for more resources to support STEM learning in your afterschool programs? Join us to learn more about the IF/THEN® Collection and resources specifically designed for afterschool and summer learning. REGISTER HERE
Resources for Transformative Practices
Equity and Inclusion
- Toolkit: Broadening Perspectives in Broadening Participation in STEM toolkit, developed by CAISE
- Article: Creating Pathways for Equity in STEM Through Family Engagement
- Article: Exploring STEM Engagement in Girls in Rural Communities
- Poster: Engineering Mindset Graphic
- Article: What STEM Mindset Is … and Why Everyone Should Have One
- Article and Activities: What is Engineering? Video For Kids | Kindergarten, 1st & 2nd Grade
- Family Activity Workbooks – STEM.Teaching.Kit_for_Web.pdf
- Webinar Recording: Listen, Learn, Lead webinar
STEM Transitions, Handoffs, and Coordination
- Toolkit: Brokering Youth Pathways: A Toolkit for Connecting Youth to Future Opportunity
- Research to Practice: Designing Learning Pathways: A research-practice partnership focused on parent brokering
Activities for Programs
Student Design Activities
- NASA Space Place – NASA Science for Kids
- 50+ Awesome Engineering Projects for Kids – Left Brain Craft Brain
- Take Flight
- Keep Your Cool! Design Your Own Cooler Challenge
Mizzen by Mott Moonshot Connection
The Mizzen By Mott app delivers inspiring and engaging activities that spark learning in young people. Supported by the Mott Foundation, Mizzen is available at no cost to afterschool professionals!
Featured Activities & Playlists
- Playlist: Helping the Planet for 3rd-5th Grade – This playlist allows younger students to go outside and learn about ways to help the environment.
- Module: Make It Move Invention Camp for 6-8th – The Make It Move Invention Camp curriculum explores transportation, vehicles, and mechanical things that move! These activities explore engineering with hands-on fund activities that end with the creation of an invention that improves the quality of life.
- Build an Extension Arm – In this activity, students learn about engineering as they design, build and test an extension arm.