Whether your school already has your own afterschool or summer learning program or if you would be looking to community partners to provide programming, ESSER funding can be used to grow and enhance these programs. Here are a few ideas:
- Partner with local community organizations that provide afterschool and summer learning programs to offer youth more opportunities to engage and more access to caring adults.
- Provide on-going, sustainable opportunities for small group programming, including enrichment, tutoring, life-skills development, college and career exposure, and more.
- Encourage educator and school staff involvement in local afterschool and summer programs through stipends and other close partnership efforts.
- Provide funding to local programs to increase opportunities for scholarships, sliding fee scales, and reduced rates.
- Provide partnership funding to local community organizations that are willing to increase family engagement and empowerment opportunities within their afterschool and summer programs.
- Provide specialized grant add-ons to meet specific afterschool and summer needs re: special education students, transportation grants to get kids to and from programs, and mental health consultants.
- Provide additional expertise and training to improve the quality of programming, including social-emotional curriculum, anti-racism and training, and trauma-informed coaching.
Potential community partners include community-run afterschool and summer programs, town parks and recreation programs, local non-profit organizations, youth-serving organizations (such as youth centers, YMCAs, or Boys & Girls Clubs), licensed childcare or afterschool program providers, specialty camps or programs (e.g., arts, sailing, STEM, etc.), among others.
We’re here to help!
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 802-448-3464 for help identifying potential afterschool or summer partners in your area.
- ESSER Afterschool and Summer Programs (March 2021)
- Planning for Impactful Summer Learning (March 2021)
- A Summer for Learning and Recovery (March 2021)